Home Health Monitoring, its benefits, and essential information
Health Is one of the most important things that many individuals are concerned about. Those patients who have some sort of mobility issues, find it difficult for them to get out of the house for a routine check-up. One thing that can keep all of them relaxed and easy is remote patient monitoring or home health monitoring.
Home health monitoring can be seen as the utilization of information technology and telecommunication to formulate a system where a patient can be monitored closely while still staying at home. Devices are used to monitor the health of patients by measuring their vitals like oxygen saturation, blood pressure, pulse rate, glucose level, etc. Then this data is transmitted to the hospitals via devices.
Patient’s vitals are monitored, recorded, and transmitted to hospitals in time that allows appropriate action to be taken. In this way, a patient can still be treated at the comfort of their home. There are 3 major challenges faced by the health care sector that is increasing population, increasing health care costs, and an increase in the number of chronic diseases. Home health monitoring is the next revolution in the health care system that is going to help out in dealing with these challenges.
Benefits of Home health monitoring
- Staying at home can help reduce the anxiety level of patients that may face frequent visits to the hospital. Also, close interaction with family and doctor can keep them stress-free and relaxed. These factors contribute towards the increased satisfaction of a customer.
- Home health monitoring can help patients to get discharged earlier from hospitals and they can still be closely monitored at home. Home health monitoring lowers hospital admissions. And during the Covid era, this is a major step that can ensure the availability of beds for other patients.
- By opting out for home health monitoring, more effectively and efficiently the case of a patient can be managed as all the records of vitals and extra information will be readily available. This allows health care professions to tackle a case more efficiently. Also, in this way, they will be able to attend much more patients as compared to the traditional system.
- Home health monitoring increases the involvement of the patient in their health management. So patients with chronic diseases like heart failure, chronic kidney disease, etc will have more insight into their condition and they will be able to manage their health more effectively.
- Home health monitoring is an excellent choice for Covid patients as they will be able to monitor their vitals themselves and can ask for professionals help whenever they want.
- Home health monitoring can also reduce health care expenses. It will also free up more beds in hospitals that can be used for other patients.
Many companies have started the initiative to offer a Home health monitoring system. Among them, some of the famous and successful companies are: –
- Philips healthcare
- Honeywell life sciences
Many other companies are also providing Home health monitoring services like GYANT, Medopad, Chronisense Medical, Ejenta, etc. Patients can avail services of these companies if they want to have a regular check on their health.
Some devices facilitate the overall process of home health monitoring. Let’s have a look at some of these devices: –
Blood pressure monitor
This era has brought forward many issues like kidney dysfunction, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and much more. They all contribute to blood pressure and affect it. High and low blood pressure are both harmful for the body in their way. Home health monitoring can help patients by recording the daily average of blood pressure.
There are blood pressure monitors that can automatically inflate the cuff by filling it with air, then deflating the cuff. Along with it, it senses the change in artery motion to calculate a patient’s heart rate and blood pressure. These devices can help patients by keeping a record of daily readings. All these records can help health care professionals to spot any change in readings which can, in turn, lead to efficient management of the root cause.
Blood Sugar monitor
Diabetes is a disease that needs close monitoring and controlling of blood sugar levels. High and low blood sugar can disturb whole body functions. So keeping a close check on blood glucose levels is the key step for a diabetes patients to keep themselves healthy.
Home health monitoring can help diabetes patients to check their sugar regularly. Patients can find sugar levels in their bodies with only a drop of their blood. They can then record their daily sugar levels to monitor the effect of medications on them. It can also help them track the effect of diet, exercise, stress, or any other illness on their sugar level.
Heart diseases are not only painful and troublesome, but they are also one of the most fatal causes of death worldwide. So monitoring the Heart regularly in people with possible Heart issues is a must thing to do.
ECG devices can be in patch form, handheld, or wearable form. These devices are really useful to monitor Heart activity. ECG can indicate abnormalities like ST depression, arrhythmia, and ischemia. These devices convert the impulses of the patient into digital signals and transmit them to the hospital. Health care professionals can spot any abnormality in patients before it’s too late. This will save patients’ lives and keep their heart-healthy.
Heart rate monitor
Heart rate is one of the other things that can be monitored at home. It is important to keep a check on heart rate to keep your heart in shape. There are devices that you can wear and they will count how many times did your heartbeat in a minute. This could prove to be an essential piece of information.
Heart rate numbers can help health care professionals to look at the effect of medications and exercise on your heart. They can then act accordingly and will ask you to increase or decrease the amount of exercise. Also, your medications will be issued following your heart rate numbers and their interaction with drugs. Heart rate monitors help to obtain more effective treatment and more efficient management of your condition.
Last on our list is the pulse oximeter. A pulse oximeter helps to determine the oxygen level in blood. These devices are in clip form and are attached to your fingers. They measure oxygen saturation by measuring the wavelength of light. The pulse oximeter is a necessary device in this Covid infested era.
The pulse oximeter is a must for people suffering from heart disease or lung issues. They help patients who have to depend on oxygen supplements to fulfill their oxygen requirements. In Covid, a Pulse oximeter works like an indicator to show if your lungs are affected or not. It can also monitor your heart rate.
Many other devices also help in-home health monitoring. These companies work together with the best devices to ensure a patient is getting the best care while still staying in the comfort of his home. Truly we can say that home health monitoring is the future of the health care system.